Hello my lovelies,
Well I woke up in a flurry of excitement this morning because it is iOS5 day, meaning tonight or tomorrow, you’ll be updating your iPads/iPhones to have the latest software update by Apple, also giving you access to a bunch of cool, new features.
In preparation and anticipation, I’m updating all my apps today because many app developers are adding on iOS5 functionality to keep up with Apple’s software update. Many of my students aren’t aware of how to do this, so I’ve outlined this quickly here.
(Just a note – this App Update process is a useful thing to do every few weeks with or without Apple software updates happening – so your apps can continue to function well and make sure you have the latest version. App updates are free and easy to do – and take all of 5 minutes!)
1. Make sure you are connected to WI-FI (so your app updates download smoothly and faster).
2. Tap on your App store icon on your home screen. You can see from the picture of my App store icon below, that there are 19 updates available (by the red number in the corner).
3. Once the App Store opens, in the bottom right hand corner, tap on Updates.
4. A list of available updates will show. You can see what the updates are for – you’ll see in this case many of them are to provide iOS5 compatibility but they can also be for bug fixes, upgrades, or more.
5. Tap on Update All in the top right hand corner of the screen.
6. Enter your iTunes password.
7. My iPad then asked me to accept the new iTunes store terms and conditions, so I went ahead and did that. (You may not have to do it, but I find it’s pretty consistent with most people’s iPads from time to time).
8. Then I had to tap on Update All again, and enter my iTunes password again.
9. Watch as your apps update.
AND YOU’RE DONE! Now all your apps are ready for your iOS5 update tomorrow.
Yours in learning and laughter,